Children's IllustrationFantasy Book CoversBlack and White InteriorsAbout Laura DiehlLaura Diehl Illustration ShopBlogPhone 540-322-1776E-mail Me
Blog

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Painting on iPad

So, I finally went out and bought an iPad for sketching/painting on the go. This is remarkable because I am very much a PC/Android girl. It was the rentina screen, I swear -I was hypmotized by that crisp high 2048×1536 res. (And, yes, I am aware that Wacom just announced a true artist's tablet for this summer.)

Of course, I also then needed a proper stylus. I chose a Sensu Brush, which, like the name would suggest, is a capacitive paintbrush! I've had my eye on this one for quite a while.

Liking it very much so-far. Highly impressed with both the screen and the feel and fluidity of the brush while painting. Though I haven't tried it in too many applications yet, I am very much enjoying Procreate for iPad. "Paper" is also fun.

I look forward to taking this baby with me as my spring travels begin around Europe!

iPad and Sensu Brush
iPad and Sensu Brush ...painting in Procreate
Test painting (1 hour). =)

4 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Laura,

It would be awesome and quite instructive if you could do a few paintings in apps like Brushes (ver. 2, not ver. 3), SketchClub, or Sketchbook Pro, each of which allows you to record each individual brushstroke and then compiles it into a video that can be posted to a site like YouTube. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in watching one of your paintings being created, and on the iPad it's just so easy.

Take care,

Mark

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Mark! I'll look into that, though I suspect it would be more "useful" to people if I just recorded one of my regular paintings in Photoshop on my main PC. I don't intend to really create anything polished on the iPad, more like quick travel sketches and experiments.

Mark said...

As you wish. Just thought doing so on the iPad would be less involved, and didn't want to ask you to go to any trouble.

Petra said...

Ah I still need a brush stylus. I have two now, one with a very pointy-point and one soft round point. I wonder how a brush would work on it!