Children's IllustrationFantasy Book CoversBlack and White InteriorsAbout Laura DiehlLaura Diehl Illustration ShopBlogPhone 540-322-1776E-mail Me
Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dragon Blossom

It's been a while and I have a new personal piece to share! This one's entitled "Dragon Blossom." It was inspired the beautiful flowering spring trees around my neighborhood a few weeks back and also by the Northern California Cherry Blossom festival, which I attended while on vacation in the San Francisco recently. (Note: the writing on the scroll is completely made-up -I thought it a better solution than trying to blindly cobble together Japanese characters.)

Dragon Blossom

 

Details:
 

2 comments:

Charity Kountz said...

Wow - beautiful details. Love the contrast of the brown bark and the blue eyes. The only thing that seemed a little odd to me was the choice of a boy for a character in this. Did you happen to try a girl too? Wonder if gender would change the feel of the image?

Unknown said...

Charity: I try to keep my portfolio pretty gender balanced. The choice of a boy vs. a girl for this also came about as a result of the first image in this "series" (Moss Dragon) featured a girl.